Use this job aid as a reminder of the tips and strategies for improving communication, cooperation, and trust when building team cohesion.
Communicating within your team
- Create a sense of partnership.
- Express your desire to work as a team.
- Assume good intentions.
- Don't retaliate.
- Move forward.
- Talk to each other.
- Get to know one another.
- Put the team's needs first.
- Accept unpleasant tasks with a positive attitude.
- Discourage competition.
- Be proactive in finding ways to help the team.
- Consider the team's success as your own.
- Encourage others to adopt a collaborative approach.
- Be supportive of your teammates.
- Acknowledge their skills and their contributions.
- Show you trust your teammates by involving them.
- Help teammates learn new skills.
- Give others responsibility and let them make decisions.
- Be truthful when communicating.
- Take responsibility for your actions.
- Share responsibility for the actions of your teammates.
- Act consistently.
- Follow through on promises.
- Say what you mean and mean what you say.
- Give and receive constructive feedback.
- Admit mistake.
- Perceive everyone's mistakes, including your own, as team mistakes.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- "Walk the talk."